Wednesday, August 04, 2004

The Barack Obama smackdown sweepstakes. And our next contestant is ...

Desperately looking for a candidate to be pounded into a grease stain by Barack Obama in Illinois, the Repubs have dredged up Alan Keyes and Andrea Grubb Barthwell.

Good choices, both. I mean, it's not like there are any skeletons in Barthwell's closet.

UPDATE
: And the apparent winner is ... right-wing dingbat Alan Keyes. Kevin Drum has his typically amusing perspective on it here. Note well, though, that Keyes has only been offered the Republican candidacy -- he hasn't officially accepted it yet, and I think he's going to find it difficult to defend his running for U.S. Senate in what is not his home state, after he publicly criticized Hillary Clinton for doing exactly that. If the media do their job (hahahahahaha! oh, man, sometimes I crack me up), he should have to explain this ... what's the word I'm looking for ... um ... saying one thing, then saying exactly the opposite ... flippity ... something or other. (Apologies to Jon Stewart for the shameless plagiarism.)

Anyway, if I was a betting man, I'd bet that Keyes will have an attack of common sense and back away from this. I mean, this candidacy has already chewed up and spit out a number of pretenders. Who in their right mind wants to go down in history as losing a U.S. Senate race by the largest margin ever?

Well, OK, that would be Keyes.

No comments: